Monday, December 21, 2009

Those who teach must never cease to learn.


Working as an interpreter in a High School has brought a great many new adventures and experiences (both good and bad) into my life. For the last four years, one of the things I have been able to participate in as a result of working in a 'suburb' of Happy Valley is release time Seminary. It has been nice to see the other side of the coin. Throughout High School I attended early morning Seminary (6 am!) every morning, and was taught by various church members who had been called to to perform the monumental task of trying to teach and inspire a handful of half-awake teenagers. Tough work for anyone! But even more so because these brave souls received only basic training before starting, and while it required a great deal of study and prep from them, it was not what they did all day, every day as a full time job.

Release time Seminary has been a real eye opener. Other than the obvious difference in mental states (dead/wired) it has been interesting to observe the difference made by having a long term teacher who has received a greater degree of training than the average ward member. The conversations the teachers are able to draw from the kids are just fun to watch, with students who are interested, actively participating, and questioning. It really is very nice to see the teaching methods used, and to enjoy the benefits of learning from those with more experience.

However, the one issue I find myself struggling with is that the students in these classes often view the teachers as not just teachers, but as authorities on all topics. There are a few who notice the errors that slip in, but most unconsciously accept everything they are taught as correct. They don't seem to realize that good people can be misinformed. For the most part, instruction is in line with the Brethren, but once in a while opinions and fallacies slip into the lesson. Things like, "teachers shouldn't give homework because it takes time away from the family," "every government agency is lying to you," "'across the road' (at school) they teach [yadda yadda] but...," "evolution is a vain and foolish doctrine," etc.

I should add that I have the greatest respect for these men. They have all voluntarily taken a job that will never make them rich in order to teach what they love to the youth, because they care so much about them. We have all probably heard talks or lessons in church that leave us shaking our heads, confused or intently reading Something Else (the lesson about depression being a spiritual problem was my favorite.) We all know people with their pet theories. We love them for who they are, and we are pretty good at recognizing things for what they are. My concern is that the youth are often not as adept at recognizing the difference between statements of opinion and fact when voiced by authority figures.

Some things I find myself wishing Seminary teachers would remember...
1. LDS culture and the Church doctrine are not synonymous. They are in fact two entirely different things.
2. Opinions do not equate to truth. The fact that you don't agree with it doesn't mean it is wrong.
3. There are several issues on which the Church has not taken a stand, one way or another. Please don't teach that it has.
4. Just because it is published by Deseret Book, doesn't mean it is the 'be all, and end all.'
5. Other points of view are in fact valid.
6. Broad generalizations may sound good, but they do not prove your point, and may come back to bite you.

In spite of the frustration I feel when interpreting such things, in general they remain the exception rather than the norm. I still believe the Seminary experience to be valuable. It provides an opportunity for students to learn about their religion, and gives them the opportunity to begin forming their own beliefs rather than simply accepting what they have been told.

Of course, in stating all this I am expressing my own opinion, and as such, there is a possibility that it is incorrect or misinformed.

Just sayin'.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you- I don't think that you are too far off. People's opinions always creek through. Boy we have had some weird talks out here in NY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you do it Christy. I'd have to restrain myself from screaming my opinions at the teacher. I mostly had excellent seminary teachers who didn't delve into their own doctrines. However, my sister's teacher taught that carmex was addictive and therefore against the word of wisdom. He also taught that holding hands is the first step to fornication. Geeze. p.s. this man is still teaching in P town, I believe. Maybe your encounters are with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear, hear. Especially to #1. :) Although, I must say, that's pretty radical, don't you think...? (Augh!! People think it IS!) . . . (Aughhhhh!!!!)

    ReplyDelete