Thursday, July 1, 2010

Still speechless...

Anybody got a spatula? I think I need a bit of help picking my jaw up off the floor. Last night's performance of "110 in the Shade" was honestly the most astoundingly beautiful and powerful show I have ever seen. And while I may not be the most active theater patron out there - there just aren't that many opportunities in rural Idaho - I have seen some incredible shows in my time. This one pretty much blew the rest out of the water.

The combination of a fantastic story, some astonishing talent and an incredibly intimate setting combined to make June 30th a night that will not easily be forgotten. I love the story of the play itself, it is so sweet and good - and it hits so close to my heart that I would even enjoy going to a high school production of it, just because. And Audra McDonald and Will Swenson are both fantastically talented performers - it is easy to see how Audra won four Tony's and why Will has been nominated for one. The real surprise to me was the impressive talent of the rest of the cast. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that! And the small theater... well, that was something all by itself.

I have to admit - my first sight of the Hale Center Theater had me laughing in disbelief. Had we not been looking for it we would have driven right past it and thought nothing of it. It really looks more like a local hair salon, or even a dog-grooming parlor. Certainly not a theater! Once inside, I had to keep giggling, because the place was just SO small! It reminded me very strongly of the Playmill Theater in West Yellowstone - small, kinda run down, and home to the local amateur theater group.









However, in spite of the low budget feel the place had upon first entering, as soon as the show started, the entire theater just seemed to melt away, and it was as if it was just you and them. You became part of the performance without making a move - being at most 20 feet away from the action at any moment. The intimacy that so small a space provided changed a Broadway caliber show into something else entirely - the same way an enclosed space transforms a bit of gunpowder from a flammable noisemaker to a force to be reckoned with.

Of course, because they will NEVER remember me, after the play I had to take on the role of anonymous fan and go get my picture with both Audra and Will (and naturally get them to sign my playbill too.) It felt kind of awkward doing that, it goes totally against my grain - I would usually rather just leave people alone, because really, they just did some very hard work and I am sure that the last thing they want to do is spend their time making inane small talk with clueless fans.

But - I figured what the hey, this is a once in lifetime chance anyhow - I'm not gonna let it pass. Naturally, it took me a while to work my way up, basically letting almost everyone else go first (I hate being pushy) and it was really fun to just sit back and listen to them chat with people - so pleasant, kind and friendly though obviously tired.

And so, here I am with the incredibly talented, Tony nominated Will Swensen, who is in large part responsible for all the nonsense tonight - his brother owns the theater (I think) and since he has worked with Audra in the past, he got her to agree to come down to perform here, for free. :)

And best of all - me and 4 time Tony winner Audra McDonald.

I want to go back! Anyone want to go with me and try for some of the $25 'lottery' tickets?

No comments:

Post a Comment