Friday, August 27, 2010

The sale

You would think that Friday the 13th might be an inauspicious day to try and show a place to a potential buyer. But having just finished most of the painting and cleaning, I didn't give the date a second thought. Anyhow, as many times as I had already shown it with no real results, I had no real reason to think this time would be any different.

Imagine my shock when I got a phone call Friday night informing me that the woman I had shown it to that afternoon had made a full price offer if I could carry the contract.

Realize, I was LEAVING in a matter of days - FOREVER. And most of those few remaining days were weekend days, when everything is closed.

So instead of packing boxes and cleaning like I had planned, I spent all day Saturday working on sale related projects with my mum, including creating a contract (luckily she knew what she was doing - cause I made her do it all!) and trying to figure out Escrow (silly Title companies are all closed on Saturdays. Grrr.) But, we did get a basic contract signed that night! Woohoo - my mom rocks!

All this nonsense left me a mess - I don't cope well when I have no idea what is going on or what I am supposed to do. I much prefer to have a firm grasp on all the details and have a solid plan.

I was back and forth between my place and my parents place on a daily basis - Saturday after signing papers I spent a majority of the night finishing up as much as I could - cleaning, last minute packing, finishing work on the paint... and I forgot an air mattress so I spent my last night at home sleeping on the floor. Not comfy. But, I got to go to one last church meeting there, and say goodbye to my second family before heading back to my parents again. (Ouch! Goodbyes hurt.)

So with everything that was going on, I had all sorts of trouble getting to sleep - there was just SO much to do, so little time, and still so many new details left up in the air. I was a walking corpse Sunday night - totally dead, and incredibly wired. I couldn't focus enough to do much very well, I felt guilty for trying to work on a Sunday, and I couldn't sit still without starting to freak out about my to do list. Made for an interesting night, thats for sure!

It wasn't until Monday that I was finally able to find out enough about local Escrow companies to know if that was a possibility - and even then, the person I needed to meet with was out of town till the next day, when I was supposed to leave. So I met with the lady buying my place and resigned contracts to include the Escrow company, checked on finalizing details and turned over my keys... sad. The rest of the day was spent trying to get new tires for my car (our original plan of towing it didn't work out, and it seems that NOBODY carries the right tires - crazy!) and trying to get the Uhaul loaded while my dad got some sleep (he had just finished a trip from Washington to Idaho, and he needed it!)

Tuesday morning (when I was supposed to be gone already) I finally was able to meet with the Escrow lady (she was impressed with my mum's contract!) and get things roughly hammered out - at least enough so that I could leave later that day.

But somehow we managed it - in spite of the last minute nature of it all, we sold it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to get your place sold and that everything worked out! Sounds like a crazy last couple of days! Good luck getting everything settled and figured out in your new place. Hopefully I can come up and visit sometime soon! It's a six hour drive or something, but you're much closer to me than before! :)

    ReplyDelete