Tuesday, August 30, 2011

About time...

It has taken me a while to get some of my pictures uploaded, but oh well - I have really been enjoying these last few lazy days of summer before going back to work. Anyhow, now that I have finally sorted through the hundreds of pics I took in Kosovo, (plus some from the internet and from a friend to cover the time after my camera died) I can share them - enjoy getting a visual taste of my trip!



View from my apartment, first day and on my last night in Kosovo.
Flags in front of The American University in Kosovo: USA, RIT, AUK, Kosovo. Below: The village of Racak and monument for the massacre that happened during the war.


Most of the mines have been removed, but the warnings are still up near hiking trails.



Safety standards in Kosovo make me giggle and think of my Dad.


I love seeing the old style haystacks, they are pretty common - even in town. Damage from the war is still quite prevalent, but there is a lot of rebuilding going on too.

Most people use wood for heating and cooking - means lots of firewood stacked up!

Old entrance sign for a Turkish bath. 


Detail on the top of a Mosque


Serbian Orthodox Monastery at Decani.

Grounds at the Monastery at Decani.

Filigren, or filigree, is a traditional handicraft still practiced by a few jewelers, mostly in Prizren. Silver wire is hand twisted and soldered to create amazing pieces of art.

Traditional gate and old window.

Elbasan Tave on the left and stuffed zucchini with a yogurt sauce on the right.



Peppers are used in most local cooking, and roasted corn os a snack food sold on nearly every street corner.

Traveling to and celebrating a traditional wedding.




The landlady, Hova, and an older Albanian Kosovar - the white felt hat is called a Plis.



1 comment:

  1. You are so brave! I am glad that you get to experience so many wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete