I know, I know... I am a slacker sometimes when it comes to blogging (ok, maybe a little more than sometimes...). Mostly because lately all I have been doing is scanning, and how many times can I post about how much my butt hurts from sitting or about the cute pic I just found? Once is enough. Well, it is enough for now.
But while I am just sitting here, I thought perhaps this would be an opportune time to sound the alarm and warn those who read my bits of mindless drivel.
There are not many things I hate - I was taught as a child that "hate is a strong word" and shouldn't be used lightly. So I don't use it for much. Instead, I choose to use the word detest. Still, the list of things I detest is not a long one. Surprisingly, particle board is ranked fairly high on that list.
Was it really only 5 years ago that I was blissfully unaware of this blight? Sadly, since I moved into my home, I have come to know it far too well, and have spent much of that time attempting to eradicate it. A frustrating task, I can tell you. Particle board seems to be the material of choice for mobile home manufacturers. Like an infestation of roaches, I found it everywhere!! Kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms... even in the floor!! Disgusting! It soaks things up like a sponge - and holds on to it with a death grip. Water leaks, smoke... other things I would rather not think about... It is a cheap substitution for the real thing (which also happens to be fairly cheap). Heaven only knows what the stuff is actually made of - I certainly don't, and I doubt the manufacturers know either. It is impossible to clean. If it gets damp at all, it swells and stinks forever more, it can't be repaired (like you would want to fix it anyhow!) and disintegrates for no good reason.
As a result, I have ripped out my kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom cabinets, and replaced sections of my subfloor - all with good results, things are MUCH better with those gone. Now, I have discovered that like termites, the infestation is much worse than it always seems at the beginning. Who, in their right mind (or even in their wrong mind) would ever even CONSIDER making an outside door of this rubbish?? Apparently, the skinflint that tossed my place together thought it was a brilliant idea. As you can see above.
It makes for an awfully cold winter when your door doesn't actually shut. It also makes for a really high gas bill.
Any guesses about what will be replaced next?
Yes, you must replace that door. I am impressed at all the work you've done by yourself. You are such a woman. I'm glad you stopped short of dismantling the entire trailer.
ReplyDeleteDoors that shut really are preferable. After all, it is their sole purpose.
ReplyDelete