I am no longer surprised at the state that Idaho's schools are in. All you have to do is listen to those who are running for the local school board to find out some of the prevailing ideas. One gentleman, who shall remain nameless, from nearby town was recently quoted in the local newspaper as saying the following:"Teachers didn't get in the profession to get rich, so they should have no problem with a 10% pay cut to start."
"Teachers need to teach differently than they did back in 1963 when I graduated."
"The teachers will continue to teach regardless of what they're paid, so why pay them that much?"
That really just says it all. Naturally he voted against the levy (proud of it too!). Thankfully he didn't win a seat on the school board, but the attitude towards education explains a lot, and leaves you feeling a bit sad.
Wow. That makes me really sad. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a problem confined solely to Idaho schools, nor even to schools Utah, but in a lot of places. And then they wonder why we're falling behind the rest of the developed world as far as education goes...
ReplyDeleteI totally agree- I keep telling Brett I want to run for school board president in Pocatello-and whip em into shape. If Teachers were paid as much as doctors-and held to higher standard of teaching then things would really be different. I think most of they deserve higher pay! One of the High Schools here is ranked # 1 in the top 100 best schools in the US. Amazing!
ReplyDelete