Sunday, July 5, 2009

No place like home.

St. George was fun. Hellishly hot, no doubt about it (people actually live there on purpose?!?), but still fun. I was down there to help out with a soccer camp held by the local college for high schools from the region. No, I don't really know enough about soccer to actually be useful; I went as an interpreter/driver. Luckily, even though I don't play, soccer does happen to be the one sport I watch for fun, so the work was highly enjoyable.
Every team played at least two games per day (sometimes three), and games were held in the morning and evening in an attempt to avoid the mid-day heat (up to 104°F most days). Even so, it was a blessing that there was almost always a lot of water available, helping everyone stay hydrated and sweaty, because the heat never really went away. The first afternoon we spent there we had skills practice with the College's head coach, but it was cut short because of the heat, and due to players getting sick from heat, the next session of skills and tactics was canceled. That left the next two afternoons free. All I had to worry about was shuttling the boys to and from the cafeteria for the mediocre (but free) food.
The first free afternoon I spent most of the time napping. The heat really saps energy out of you until you get used to it. Thank goodness the hotel room had AC. Luckily the second afternoon I was more alert and less desperate in my need for sleep, so I was able to spend my afternoon at the St. George temple. What a lovely place. It was really neat to go through there because some of my family (way back) helped to build it.
As much fun as I have when I travel, there is nothing I love more than coming home. Especially when home means cooler temperatures, eating ripe strawberries out of my garden, having internet access and being able to work on my own projects. Now that I am done with Costa Rica and St. George I have about one month to enjoy my summer and get all my projects done. Unless a miracle happens, I probably won't finish (especially if I keep blogging about everything instead of working). But I can make a good effort :)

No comments:

Post a Comment