
I said it before, and I will say it again. I am far more immature now than I ever was in High School. I think this is partly to do with where I work and who I work with. Spending large amounts of time with high school boys will do that to a person. Part of that is a total enjoyment of very juvenile practical jokes, and an absurd amusement with teenage melodrama. But also, lately I have been noticing a tendency in myself towards annoyance with a couple of things that tend to lead to some rather immature impulses welling up in me. Things like little nit-picky, controlling rules, extremism and stereotypes.
Nit-picky rules: The more the 'powers that be' try to dictate what can or cannot be done, the more I feel a desire to rebel. Definitely a sign of regression. I used to not care, or just think that it was stupid. Now when the school sends out an email informing us that having streaks of brightly dyed hair is against the dress code, I just want to go dye a chunk of my own hair. Not because I want pink hair, but because I don't think that is something that should be regulated by a public school.
Extremism: Last week I interpreted what was supposed to be a discussion about various perspectives, but was in reality a RANT against 'the left' (activist, environmentalists...) that was so full of stereotypes and narrow-minded, self-righteous prejudice that while I actually did a really good job of interpreting it, (I got the affect, innuendos, and slurs just right!), I left the class feeling a very strong desire to return the next day dressed in my most 'granola' clothes. I am still resisting that impulse. [I must remain professional!]
***I find it highly amusing that the longer I live in a strongly conservative, republican community, the more liberal and democratic I feel. Granted, I am very much a moderate. Always have been, and always will be (I think), I can see both sides of almost any situation. Every issue has pros and cons, and there are two sides to every coin - what annoys me is when people refuse to acknowledge the other side or tries to impose their opinions on others. ***
Stereotypes: The only time I really let myself 'have fun' is when I am playing with stereotypes. This is usually when I just want to get a good reaction out of someone based on their prejudices - it is why whenever I go to Institute I carry a Starbucks cup (they make the BEST hot chocolate and apple cider!) and why I wear a soccer shirts to football games. It is never anything big, but I do like to make the point that things aren't always what they seem, and that our (usually cultural) perceptions of right and wrong aren't necessarily correct. And sometimes, I do it just to annoy people.
Granted, I am not likely to break down and give into all these impulses just to make a point, so if one day you see me with a streak of purple hair, carrying a Starbucks cup and wearing an Obama shirt, don't worry. I am probably just trying to annoy someone and get a good reaction.
Yup, I am definitely less mature than I used to be.
first of let me say I love the poster at the top looks like something my boys would do. I so agree with each of your comments. But the best is the extremism I just don't see how others views are also valid and could bring great things if we could bring them together. but they only see one way. I too am a moderate I like to look at all the ways around things not just one because that is the way my political party might think.
ReplyDeleteI always love your post very thought provoking.
YES! YES! YES! I don't know how you do it, Christy. I am exactly like you. I think I'm liberal, but I'm moderate, I just hate the small-mindedness. And I'm a reaction person too. The nit-picky rules really get me. If you think school is bad, try living on a military base.
ReplyDelete