Friday, June 11, 2010

Moving forward

It feels like it has taken forever for places I have applied to start getting back to me. It's like I have been stuck in limbo, unable to make any progress. But, at long last contact has been made. Almost 2 months ago I applied to the Rochester Institute of Technology/National Technical Institute for the Deaf in New York, and about a week ago they emailed me, wondering if I would like to come interview with them (I credit this one entirely to Amy's fantastic help with my resume). Of course I said yes. And then I found out that they were planning to fly me out and put me up in a hotel for a night. Awesome! So next Wednesday I head down to SLC for a conference that will last till Sunday, and then on Monday I fly out to beautiful upstate NY.
The interview schedule they have set up for me looks pretty rigorous, so I have my work cut out for me, and it will be a short visit - I fly back Tuesday night. Still, I hope it goes well. Rochester would be an amazing opportunity to improve my skills - RIT/NTID is said to employ over 100 interpreters, and the city has a HUGE Deaf population. With any luck, that much exposure to high quality ASL will help me get nationally certified (not just for education) within a year or two. Yay! Plus, as an added bonus, my cousin lives right there in town (yay!) AND she is going to have a baby this fall!!
It's a good thing I have Rochester to look forward to, because Tuesday afternoon I got a lovely little letter in the mail:
Dear Christy,

Thank you for your interest in the Staff Sign Language position (job#12345) at the University of Utah. Unfortunately, I regret to inform you that your application is no longer being considered for the position. Thank you again for interest in the University of Utah.

Sincerely,
(John Doe)
(I love that a university employee sent this.)

Of course, if Rochester doesn't work out, and I get more letters, at least I do have a plan B. I figure that if worst comes to worst, I can always get a sign and a hat, head down to Salt Lake City to set up camp outside the gates to Temple Square, and see what happens.
After all, I hear some of those guys make bank! Who knows, it could be fun! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment