Sunday, September 19, 2010

Settling in


It takes time for me to get used to new places and really settle in. I wouldn't say that I am 'settled' quite yet (it will be a year or two before this is really home), but the process is going much smoother for this move than it ever has gone before. Impressive, considering this is the biggest move I've ever made!

I think a large part of that is the drawn out nature of the whole process - this deadline has been looming ahead of me for years, and I was able to work myself through the process of saying goodbye in a way that worked well. I also had several months to specifically work on finishing my trailer, look for a new job, sell my place, etc... I don't know how people survive when they have to do it all in a matter of a few weeks, or even days. Anyhow, that in combination with a large dose of help from family (and a whole lot more from Heavenly sources) meant that adjustments have gone well. Once I dropped Dad and 'Nae off at the airport, the tears dried up and the homesickness receded into the background. No anxiety attacks (thus far) - even with challenges faced at work!

I've managed to get mostly unpacked - there are still a few boxes in the garage, but after having a home full of stuff, I am impressed that there there isn't more still boxed up. I even had to go out and buy some furniture (bookcases, a desk, more bookcases) so that I could get properly set up. Books are out of their boxes, clothes are in the closet and art is on the wall!


Meanwhile I have been trying to learn my way around town and get a feel for what this place will be like. To aid in that quest, I sought my brothers advice and based on his recommendation, wound up buying a fun little toy.

I love my Nuvi :) It tells me right where to go, recalculates after I mess up, keeps track of where I am and never lets me get lost - so I don't have to stress about getting my directions exactly right, or worry that I might get lost and end up in Canada (an actual possibility around here.) Plus, it speaks to me with an awesome British accent. So far I have discovered a couple different parks, wandered through all sorts of neighborhoods, found a couple of random addresses, gone on some lovely Sunday drives, and have almost learned the rout to Palmyra. Not bad!

I have even been somewhat social since coming here. Shocking, I know. (At least pretend your jaw didn't just drop.) FHE twice, out to dinner with roommates and friends a couple of times, a cookout with the Deaf group at church, voluntary participation in various meetings, and lots of hanging out with my cousin (though not as much as I would like). There are even some cute guys here - maybe St. George will freeze over and I will actually get a few dates.

Overall, I think I am getting the hang of this place - all I really need now is a BIG umbrella. Preferably a red one.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering when we were going to get an update! I'm sure you will get a lot more hang out time with Seleta...once all the company leaves. We are working hard on our kitchen so we can have everything ready for Thanksgiving. :) I think you are doing great with this transition!

    ReplyDelete