Saturday, August 29, 2009

Hubris

Once upon a time, I mocked people like me. Not overtly of course, but I was rather smug.

I enjoyed every season of the year, but most especially spring and fall, I could sleep soundly through the night, and I relished every breath of fresh air.

They say hindsight is 20/20, and looking back perhaps I should have knocked on wood more often, or been a bit more sympathetic. This time, karma seems to have caught wind of my "superiority," and has brought it back to bite me in the backside.

Now, I can't wait for fall to hurry past in hopes that winter will bring relief. My sinuses fill up during the night, waking me nightly. And I am always half afraid to breathe deeply, fearing that I will be breathing in whatever the heck it is that I am allergic to.

Allergies!!!

I never used to have allergies - I very much enjoyed that fact!! But over the last few years I have slowly become aware of an ever increasing response to something. Probably several somethings. At first it was just a tickle, a few sneezes and a short term runny nose... I was able to maintain my state of denial and later I blatantly lied to myself, refusing to believe I could succumb. However, given a few years to stew, that minor annoyance has morphed into a full blown reaction that makes denial impossible. Puffy eyes, clogged sinuses, post nasal drip, and worst of all, the eternal itching of my nose and throat. I could handle all the rest, but my throat itches!! It is honestly insane! Ok - Uncle! I give! Mercy!! I admit I have allergies and all the allergy sufferers of the world have my most sincere apologies for my previous lack of sympathy.

I know I need to get in and see a doctor, and get things figured out, especially since Claritin and Sudafed don't touch it. But admitting this online is still not quite real. Admitting it to a doctor makes it official. I guess I still need to be humbled some more. Meanwhile, because I get to sleep in tomorrow I am going to go take a Benadryl and hope it helps.

3 comments:

  1. Two words:

    Costco. Zyrtec.

    (Or Claritin.... But most everyone we've talked to about this thinks Zyrtec works better. You can get a year's supply for, man, ten bucks...? Something like that.)

    This makes me laugh, because Matt still teases me about how I never thought I had allergies. Hehe. People would ask if I did, and I'd be like, oh no...not me. I'll never forget when the lightbulb went on. Haha! My boss and I were talking about how I didn't feel so hot, and he asked, as so many had over the years, "do you have allergies?" And I said no, I think it must be a cold. And as I said it, I realized I was a total idiot! OF COURSE it's allergies! I have allergies...? Are you kidding me? I have allergies! AHHH!!

    I went home to Matt (this was right after we got married) and was like, I just realized! I have allergies! And he won't stop making fun of me for it. Hehe. Whenever I complain about my clogged up nose, or my scratchy throat, he reminds me, "oh, but you don't have allergies." ;-)

    Anyway, you're not alone to have been in denial! Haha! Also, it sucks. Definitely. If Zyrtec or Claritin works for you (WAY better than Benadryl, and won't make you tired... I take Zyrtec every morning...) you won't have to see a doctor or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. That bites. Hopefully you can get it controlled soon. And maybe once you move to your next city it won't be an issue any more, or at least not as severe. It was fun to see you on Sat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bummer-I am sorry that you have to deal with that-we normally only have the spring allergies not the winter. I never had allergies until I was older which I find odd but whatever. I also like alavert-over the counter

    ReplyDelete