Friday, January 23, 2009

Alas, poor tree, I knew it well.


This picture is my front yard, last May.

See the nice, big, beautiful shade tree? It is the one that has so kindly protected my car from the blazing sun in the summer, and kept the snow off in the winter. I would back right up to the gate to park, and it was such good protection that it even kept the frost from getting too thick on my windows. (Of course it is also the one that sheltered all the birds who subsequently left presents on my car as well.)

Alas, the poor tree is no more.

Apparently the snowstorm that hit the area over Christmas break was just a bit too much for it, and it snapped. Thankfully I was snowed in at my parents house at the time. I can just imagine the conversation with the insurance people had I been at home. "Collision? A tree hit your car? Are you sure you didn't have a little too much holiday eggnog?"

Most of it is gone now, as you can see. All that is left of the once stately tree are the remnants of the trunk. I should have taken a picture just after I got home and saw the entire mass in my parking spot, but I was a little too surprised to think straight.

I guess things are going to get a bit warmer this summer. Oh well.  Maybe I can use it as an excuse to plant a new tree in the front yard on Arbor day... 

3 comments:

  1. I guess it's a good thing your car wasn't parked underneath the tree at the time of its demise (unless you wanted a new car and higher premiums). I bet the remains will make for many a year of firewood. I never cease to be amazed by what nature can accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad! Sorry about your tree. But on the upside, I like the picture of you snow shoeing that's at the top of your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa. crazy storm! poor tree! I am glad it didn't take anything else out with it though...

    ReplyDelete