Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hooray for Yaktrax :)

I like to walk. It's just something I enjoy. Because of this (plus a desire to save gas and get some exercise) I walk to work everyday. Its only about half a mile each way, so not too bad really. However, when road gets snowy and icy, walking can be more than a bit treacherous. 
So, I decided to do something to remedy the situation. Once I started back to work after the big ol' snowstorm from Christmas break, and after a couple of near-miss slips, I  bought a pair of Yaktrax. I gotta say they are wonderful! Life savers really. I pulled them on the very next morning and headed off to work feeling like I was walking on dry pavement. I tried to slip, and couldn't! I probably could have gone running across the icier patches if I had felt like it, but it was way too early to be that energetic. 
Natually, that afternoon we got hit by a warm spell which melted all the snow and ice, and left the roads dry so I only got to use them the one day. Figures! The way the weather has been acting, I was beginning to think that we wouldn't get any more snow and that I had bought them for nothing. But now that the snow is back I am getting to use them again, at least for a couple of days, and I am having fun walking wherever I please.
Yay for new toys :)

3 comments:

  1. Nice! They look like they're doing the trick for sure. If I had to walk a little farther around here in NY, I'd probably get some too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. props to you for wanting to walk to school! I really like your shoes. I will trade you for my high hills. Your shoes would come in handy at my school's parking lot. I work by the canyon so the weather gets pretty intense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, they aren't a type of shoe. They are like chains for your shoes instead of for your car, so you can put them onto almost any pair of shoes you want to walk in. A bit of a hassle to put on perhaps, but easy to take off and easy to walk in.

    ReplyDelete