Have you ever read a book, and been so turned off by the style of writing that you can't even pay attention to what the author is saying? One of the classes I am working in has been reading "Rule #1: The simple strategy for successful investing in only 15 minutes a week" for the last month or two. Up till this point I have worked very hard to make sure that I read all the materials for all the classes in advance so that I can prepared for all the discussions - but in this case, I counted myself lucky to make it a quarter of the way through before pushing it aside in disgust.
In most cases, even when the authors voice annoys me I can still give you a pretty good evaluation of the information and ideas presented in a book. But I can't even tell you if the advice the guy offered was decent. Why you ask? What makes this NYT best seller so terrible? His writing style positively SCREAMS salesman - of the snake oil variety.
I despise sales pitches. I'm not quite sure why I have such a strong reaction, but the second they start their spiel they lose a customer because I would rather pay more for the same product than reward their behavior. So instead of at least being able focus on the information, I spent most of my reading time mentally arguing with him and nitpicking his arguments. For all I know, the guy is 100% right. But in my mind, that makes it worse in some ways. For heavens sake, if the idea is as good as you say it is, let the facts speak for themselves. At most, limit your sales pitch to chapter one. But when you give it again and again, in chapters 2, 3, 4, 5... it really bugs me. Plus, it looks more like a smoke screen. Then when your initial information is misleading to begin with, and... grrr. I have too many bones to pick, and no desire to go into it. Suffice it to say, I did not like this book. I figure, if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.
No comments:
Post a Comment