We flew out of SLC late Saturday night, and did our best to catch a few naps on the plane, because once we touched down the next morning we would be off and running, trying to see as much as possible in our short visit. Since we flew into JFK in New York we had quite a bus ride where we could try to sleep a bit more, but it didn't add up to much because en rout we made a few fun stops. Our first stop was in Maryland - Annapolis to be exact, where we did a short walk through the Naval Academy, and a quick hike up to the Old State House.
Once we finished with the Smithsonian's we went to the International Spy Museum (AWESOME!), grabbed dinner at Union Station, and then started on our Illuminations Tour.
We were able to stop and see most of the main monuments, Vietnam, Lincoln, Korean War, Jefferson and FDR... but about two minutes after this shot was taken, the rain decided to start. Slowly at first, but by the time we made it to FDR we were pretty well soaked, and had to miss WWII. Instead, we went and checked into our hotel to get some much needed sleep.
I think we must have been crazy, but the next morning I went for an early morning run at the National Mall with four of the other chaperone's from the group. It was hard to wake up and crawl out of bed, but oh, so worth it. The rain had stopped for a while and the air was full of early morning, pre-dawn mist (fog really, but mist sounds better...) We couldn't see more than halfway up the Washington Monument, and almost none of the Capitol building was visible. It was so peaceful and quiet compared to the crowds of the day before, with just a few other runners out with us. Then, as the rain started to fall again we headed back to the hotel to get ready for the busy day ahead. First stop, in front of the White House for pictures. Then on the bus and out to the Pentagon to see the 9/11 memorial.
This was the first time I had been there, and I was impressed by the simple peace and quiet of the place in spite of the busy world around us. 


After taking some time to honor the fallen, we walked around to the Pentagon Metro station and herded the entire group of 50 small town Idahoans through the process of buying passes, going through the gates, getting everyone on the right line, and getting off at the right place (Arlington). I imagine herding cats would be simlar.
Arlington is one of those places that I think every US citizen should visit at some point in their lives (the other is the Holocaust Museum, also in DC). It is such a solemn, reverent place - the magnitude of what it represents cannot be conveyed by any pictures - they all seem to fall short of the mark. I love the respect and honor shown by the Guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns - the detail and precision, the meticulous attention to exact details... Arlington is indeed, a powerful place.
From Arlington we got back on the bus and made our way down to Virginia for a chance to explore Mount Vernon. It is such a lovely place - so well cared for. I love the insights you can get into our first President, what kind of man he truly was.
I loved the blooming cherry blossoms - these were in the formal gardens at Mount Vernon- but they were all over DC too, having bloomed just a less than a week before. I was so excited to see the cherry blossoms again this year - I had been afraid we would miss them because of all the extra snow!
Coming back to DC we drove up to the north end of the city and took a tour of the National Cathedral. That is one of those places that have to be seen in order to get the full effect - pictures just can't do it justice. Pictures of Cathedrals have never overly impressed me. Beautiful? Yes. Awe inspiring? Eh... not so much. But to actually walk inside... the majesty of it is astounding. The intricacies of the massive, handcrafted pillars, hundreds of ornately worked stained glass windows. Every detail emphasizing the dedication of the workers, the love and care that they put into the creation of that place of worship. I had always heard that Gothic architecture was intended to make you look up - to elevate your mind and lift your thoughts to God. I never really appreciated the actual effect of it till I caught myself looking up for the 71st time - it made me laugh.
After the Cathedral, I ditched the group for the evening. They went on a dinner/dance cruise along the Potomac, while I had the time of my life playing with my friend Elizabeth. As incredible as the entire trip was, this evening out on the town was the highlight of it all. It felt so very good to be able to sit down and just chat with a friend.
And of course eating wonderful food at an incredible Crepe place in Georgetown only added to the fun and excitement.
We spent a good three or so hours at Bonaparte's in their cramped dining area slowly moving from our appetizers, through dinner and on to desert. Who could resist? Not me!

It was in all truth, a perfect evening - due entirely to my amazing friend Elizabeth - and I am not even kind of exaggerating when I say it was the best part of the trip :)
The next day, Tuesday, was our last in DC. We checked out that morning and spent the day in more of the government buildings. The Library of Congress, the Capitol building... (I loved the Capitol tour, they provided an interpreter so I got a break AND got to watch a professional at work!) We hit Fords Theater and the National Archives, and then our last real stop before heading to NYC was at the Holocaust Museum.
What a powerful place. Again, time was limited, so we were not able to take the time we wanted (I could have spent hours more...) Going through is a heart-wrenching experience, and I found tears in my eyes on more than one occasion.
The enormity of what happened is too much to for us to really comprehend - we simply don't think on such a massive scale - our minds struggle to grasp it, and coming to terms with even a small fraction of the reality is crushing.
This is not a place we go for entertainment, for fun or to be amused. This is a place we go because, like the Guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers, it is our duty to pay tribute to the dead, to Remember. We face this truth so that we may bear witness for those who cannot.
That metal tree is so cool.
ReplyDeleteWow, I'm so flattered to have been the best part of your trip! :) I had soooo much fun seeing you! Going out and just chatting was really what I needed right now! Thanks again for making time to hang out!!
I Totally agree with you- I love DC and all of the wonderful things to experience- you are right you could spend weeks there and just enjoy! Glad you had so much fun!
ReplyDeleteLove Georgetown. Love it. I remember after we got out of the Holocaust Museum feeling totally drained. So moving. Arlington would be a different experience being married to a soldier. Seing that casket gave me the chills.
ReplyDelete