So, lately I have been wishing for a new computer. This wish grows stronger and stronger with every problem my current computer develops. Even though I can't actually afford a new computer at this moment in time, I still like to browse, and plan for the day when I have a few extra dollars to spend... Only problem is, what do I get? Mac? Or PC?
I have never used a Mac. I have absolutely no idea how they work, how they are set up, what I can do with them, or even how to do it. Totally lost. But it looks really neat, and rather intriguing. And I hear good things about them. Plus, I already use Safari full time, and am addicted to iTunes and my iPod.
On the other hand, I am very familiar with the PC. Mine has served me well for the last five years, and I know how to do most of the things I need to with it. I have gotten pretty good at using the various office programs, and worry that things like photoshop won't work on a Mac. I understand the 'filing' system on a PC, and I like not having compatibility issues when I need to transfer files.
I know people who actually have opinions about the Mac/PC debate tend to have very strong opinions, and I would love for you to share them with me, to help me form an opinion for future use.
Now that Apple uses those nifty Intel processors, or whatever, you can run Windows on a Mac. Best of both worlds? Maybe. (Also, you definitely, definitely don't have to worry about photoshop not working on a Mac. Apple owes everything to their devoted design base! Adobe-everything and design almost-everything are great with Macs. The design and desktop publishing worlds LOVE 'em.) I can't speak for PCs because I've never actually owned one--just used ones at work (that crash all the time! Grrrrr!!! And get viruses! More Grrrrr!!). If I were going to get a laptop, I'd want whatever didn't have an annoying fan. Laptop-fan-noise gives me seizures or something! Am I alone here?
ReplyDeleteDefinitely a PC. Macs are way overpriced. You can buy 4 PC computers on tigerdirect.com for the price of one Mac. Most people don't know that PCs just require a simple tuneup every 6 months or so. It's easy to do, and when you're done, your computer will work like new. Also, because more viruses are written for PCs they have more viruses. Just download spybot search and destroy from safer-networking.net. Also, you can download AVG anti-virus for free as well. Boy, you opened a can of worms.
ReplyDeletePS. Make sure you don't buy that lousy Vista. Only buy it with the operating system Windows XP. Vista is slow and hogs all of the memory making all of your computer programs run slower.
ReplyDeleteI would vote for mac. When you get one you definitely want to get it with a student discount. I have one and have no problems. I get 5-5.5 hours off of a full charge. They are very easy to use and come with a few really neat programs. If you ever want to use mine your more than welcome. I have windows and lepord on it and have found that i love lepord and don't use windows much, only for family history really because paf is windows based. any who good luck
ReplyDeleteEveryone in my family has a MAC except me. I'm too stubborn to figure them out. If you're willing to put in the time they are supposedly much better, don't freeze up as often, etc., etc. However, you pay more for them. Oh, and I agree with your other commenters, make sure NOT to get Windows Vista.
ReplyDeleteQuestion is, how do I give my PC that "simple tuneup" to make it run like new?
ReplyDeleteBen, I would love to test drive your macbook - when is the next weekend you will be in Pocatello?
I would take a wild guess that you don't need a laptop -- they are more expensive and more prone to needing to be replaced than desktops, just because they travel more. But maybe I'm wrong.
ReplyDeleteAs for the PC/mac question...PCs are sooo much cheaper. More bang for the buck. As a developer, I've had a harder time getting applications to work on the mac we have, but your general use programs I imagine won't be a problem.
I've experienced the "bogged down-crashy" issues with both PCs and Macs. It isn't a question of operating system, but of the load you put on your computer. Keep cleaning up/uninstalling programs and files you aren't using anymore. Defragment your harddrive.
By the way, I actually like Vista. We haven't had a problem with it at all, and it does at least some things better than XP.
Christy, if you get a PC, I will show you how to easily tuneup your computer. Microsoft has made it very simple. It's true that both Mac and PCs can crash. I have seen Macs as well as PCs that are bogged down because their owner has no clue how to make them work properly.
ReplyDelete